I made this ”white kitchen” scene more than two years ago to get some practice with Corona render as I’d just started to work with this render engine.
Because I still get questions regarding this scene I decided to write a making of it.
The images were created using 3D Studio Max for modeling, Corona Renderer as Render Engine and Adobe Photoshop for Post Production, only to adjust the lighting (exposure, contrast, etc).
FINAL RENDER 1
FINAL RENDER 2
When I first saw the pictures Marie Olsson Nylander’s villa in some digital magazine I fell totally in love with it and thought it would be nice to recreate it in 3d.
So, searching the net I found more photos to use as references and plan of this beautiful house.
First of all I assigned the reference picture as the viewport background and used Perspective Match tool to setup camera orientation. Here you can find more detailed article about this tool.
Then I recreated the walls according to the reference plan. I just used a boxe to create the rooms, modified with Edit Poly method.
I didn’t spend a lot of time on 3d modeling. As you can see the models are very simple so modeling process was pretty straightforward. The beautiful lilac bouquet is from Mikhalenko free 3d models collection vol.01.
At this stage, I added portals to the window holes, assigned clay material (simple CoronaMtl with RGB180 value) to the geometry, and experimented with basic lighting. The lighting setup was very simple – Corona Sky produced soft blue natural lighting and Corona Lights for the ventilation hood lighting and spots added warm light to the scene.
Here are the general lighting setup settings…
CORONA SKY SETTING
CORONA LIGHT SETTING – THE HOOD AND SPOTS
Most materials in the scene are pretty simple, so I will show you a few shaders that in my opinion are the most interesting.
NOTE: In this scene I used pretty high diffuse values for ‘kitchen fronts’ and ‘wall plaster’, it was two years ago and I just started to use Corona render. Now I usually keep albedo of materials under RGB190. More about albedo you can read here.
The render settings were left at default values.
Then the final stage was the post processing, just to bring up colors, adjust contrast, etc.
I hope this little making-of will be useful for you!
Thanks for your attention!